History



Caption: An aerial photo of Landenberg Village taken in 1937. South is top. Both railroads meet just below the RR bridge crossing Landenberg Road located at the bottom. At the top the W&W RR diverged to Hockessin, De while the P&N headed due south to Newark, DE. Landenberg Junction Trail is located at the bottom in the Landenberg Junction Preserve. Map refinement compliments of Crowl Advertising Design
The map on the right shows the Landenberg Junction Preserve in the perspective of 1937 when the railroad beds are apparent. The Wilmington & Western RR connected Landenberg residents and businesses to Wilmington, DE. After stopping at the Hockessin RR Station the W&W terminated at the Landenberg. A large railroad turntable situated along this track rotated the W&W steam locomotive for its return trip to Wilmington. The Pomeroy & Newark RR stopped at the Landenberg Station bringing and carrying goods, people, coal, lumber and dairy products between Gap, Pennsylvania and Newark, Delaware.

Located in historic Landenberg Village, the trail encompasses sections of both the Pomeroy & Newark and Wilmington & Western Railroad beds along the beautiful Wild & Scenic White Clay Creek. It features small amphibian ponds, the Hendrickson homestead habitat garden, a creek-side picnic area, and trout fishing access.

The trailhead is across the creek from the Landenberg Hotel and adjacent to the Landenberg Bridge near the intersection of Penn Green Rd. and Landenberg Rd. Parking for the opening will be around the corner at the Landenberg United Methodist Church parking lot off of Penn Green Rd.

For more information about the Railroads read the New Garden Lyceum Newsletter article “ Railroads in Landenberg” and the New Garden Commission article “The Pomeroy and Newark Railroad”.